Saturday, January 22, 2011

Komuter oh Komuter (as written on25/12/10)

Last Thursday, went on outing with my little boy to KLSuria via the KTM commuter and then the LRT - just to add some fun to the outing. Parked the car at KTM Station in Klang, had breakfast at Bismillah restaurant. For this trip, Zakiy took the lead, as I am not familiar at all with the commuter and lrts.

The whole day trip made me realise some things - I think this is a family activity that I should not make a tradition of... the shock at seeing Malaysian's gentlemen on board public transport is unbelievable!

AT KL Central we got into the Kelana Jaya line LRT for KL Suria. Just a few stops; so I did not bother to find a seat. A few other women too were standing. Some men sitting at the "special needs" seats. One of them actually was a handicap young man; very friendly, smiling at the able bodied guys around him. I watched from the corner of my eyes.

And then came the most surprising thing. The said young man, in all grace despite his handicap, stood up, came up to me and said politely, "Makcik, ambil lah tempat duduk saya, biar saya berdiri."

Profound! Here was this handicap young man, getting up and offering his seat to a makcik me, whilst all the rest of the steady, smartly dressed young men, sat looking. I declined politely, but with my "teacher eyes" looked at the rest of the guys with a message in my looks. After so many years, after such advancement in technology here in our beloved country, this aspect of human civilisation - politeness and courtesy have still not gotten internalised in our Malaysian citizens. 20 odd years of teaching, and I wonder, what real values have passed on to our younger generation.

Circumventing the KL Suria, flowing in and out of shops for hours with my little one, has proven to be something of a strained chore for me. A slight reprieve and "losing myself" at Kinokuniya was the highlight of the trip. Utterly exhausted, we made our way back by 4pm hoping to avoid the jam. Nothing doing. The platform for Port Klang bound was jammed even by that time.

A point I wish to mention. I see many kiosks or vending machines (whatever you call them) for purchasing tickets straight off the machine. Whilst there were no problems purchasing the LRT tickets from the machines, but the KTM's vending machine were a joke! You faitfully and painstakingly follow the lights that blink from one instruction to another, until it instructs you to remit payment into the appropriate slot. RM 7.20 for the both of us, and I slipped in a RM10.00 note - rejected. I fumbled and groped in my handbag for RM1.00 notes and pushed them in one by one slowly and tediously - rejected. Zakiy and I searched our wallets for exact change, coins and all - rejected! What is this?? After spending precious minutes to be "fast and automated", I finally ended up queing up at the long line at the counter to buy my tickets from the manned ticket booth. Why like that? Bummer!

And then finally came the best part. As the train for Port Klang neared the station and the announcement made, the lady officer kindly requested/instructed for single ladies to please line up at the "women's only" coach. Many obeyed; thats good. As for myself, I was with Zakiy and so I stood at the aisle for the co-ed coach with a few other young couples mostly. The train arrived, Zakiy ushered me in. Jam packed...Zakiy had warned me that I might have to stand until at least Shah Alam. I hurried to one corner near the window, together with a married couple, whose husband was carrying his young child.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how the rows of seats were filled with young, able bodied men who sat there as if glued to their seats. Never mind me, if they think I dont deserve the seat like they do, but what of the father who was carrying his slumbering child on his shoulder, swaying and staggering to maintain his composure as the train glided and swayed on the track? Good Lord! Not one man, ranging from the 20s to the 40s got up to offer a seat to the father, or to any of the ladies standing. I actually stared in disbelief. I would never have my boys behaving like this - so selfish, callous, and plain no regards for the elders, weak, or with a child. Amazing at how they can keep a straight face. I am truly at a loss for words. I would have gone staring at all of them, but luckily I always carry a book in my handbag, and to avoid embarrassing Zakiy coz his mom was staring, I resigned myself to some quiet reading, swaying left and right to the beat of the moving commuter.

Tired, from bending down reading, I tried to rest my head momentarily on the railing behind me, just nice at the level where my neck is. But to my utter horror (and Zakiy's chagrin), there this young couple stood behind us... actually intent on necking and making out in public! For the love of God..peliiiiiizzzzzz!!! Oitt come on guys - theres a time and place for everything. What were the couple trying to prove? All I see is a pair of horny youngsters with no shame nor self dignity...perghh...I think Zakiy's deathly stare finally got through to them and they cooled off. Double bummer!

Suffice it to say, I did not get the chance to sit down in Shah Alam. A grueling 45 min train ride for me - standing from KL Central right up to Klang Station. When I got off the train, my legs were stiff from gripping on to the floor of the train to avoid the embarrasment of tumbling over in the bone rattling moving train. I think I must have walked funny towards my car.

And immediately after maghrib prayer, i was lost to the world...sleep blessed sleep!!! Alas...all in all, it was a meaningful day ... for I got to spend the day with my little Zakiy, doing his thing; his kind of activity.

"Low Yatt after this?" - ayoyo.....!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment