Friday, December 4, 2009

Of Holidays and Books

Hasan Al Banna said that to know a person look at the books on his shelf. I look at mine - and I see Islamic books, self-help and motivational books, books on teaching, on writing and novels. So I guess it is true what is said about a person's bookshelf. The books that fill my shelf pretty much sum up what I am and what my interests are.

I look at the books that fill my sons' rooms. Noble One's shelf is a full range of topics - hinting at his interest in vast areas. Mainly Islamic books fill the space, but there are also significant number of books on language (his interest in the academics of different languages), books on editing/journalism, books on photography, books on history ... only the odd novels,namely by two young uprising contemporary Malay writers. Yes, I can see his personality clearly from his collection of books. That while his interests are wide and varied, he is very much into good writing, and into improving himself as a Muslim. It is with interest that I note that just not too long ago, books on computer design and books on the different computer skills were the in-thing for him. So, I conclude that one's interest in reading changes over time as well.

As for my Witty #2, he never was much of a book reader in his primary days although he is an avid online reader. However, of late I realise that whilst he is not much into reading books; magazines and comics scatter his room - and those magazines and comic reflect his interest: weaponry and anime. Witty #2 is more the "action guy" and it does reflect in his choice of reading materials - quick reading, easy to follow practical instructions. Yesterday, I see another interest that is slowly blossoming in him - computer skills. In that sense, he has something in common with big brother I guess.

I write this blog because long school breaks give us this wonderful opportunity to enjoy a day's outing visiting different bookstores and getting our hands on books of interest as well as keeping updates with the latest publications. I am grateful that my boys are as much into reading as I was at their age. This is something that the boys and I share in common; something that I am very pleased about.

Indeed reading open up borderless frontiers to explore, the adventures take our breath away, the values learnt enrich our souls, and the sheer story telling alone take us on a ride of different emotions,leaving us ecstatic and satisfied at the end of the journey. A journey worth taking any time.

Above all, books bring my boys and I closer together, as we read to each other or tell each other what we have learnt.

For all this, I am forever grateful for the magic and beauty of books ... and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment